2 big bunches of fresh broccoli (3-5 pounds?), cut in pieces (use some of the stems too! just peel sides off and chop in healthy chunks) -make sure this broccoli is dry dry dry or the roasting will not work…
5 garlic cloves, sliced
Fresh Parm Reg
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Put the broccoli on a cookie sheet covered in heavy duty foil. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Add sliced garlic cloves and toss
4. Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until “crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.” (About ten minutes in, shake the pan to move it around a bit, just redistribute) By the way - you WANT some edges to brown. You want the garlic to be pretty browned too. By the end they should be tiny, delicious, brown garlic chips. The browning turns this broccoli from eh to eeehhhhYYEEAAAHHH!
5. Remove from oven and zest a lemon over the broccoli and squeeze the lemon juice on top
6. Grate some fresh Parm Reg over it
7. Toss and serve!
No joke. This an amazing way to have this vegetable. Go make some now. No really.
Heck Yes Roasted Broccoli Comments...
SO I have been thinking about this (a lot. i have been thinking about it a. LOT!) and I think the next time I do the broccoli I will add a little pancetta in the mix. It kind of takes the sort of healthy spin away (although olive oil does add caloriesas well) I bet adding salty/cured meat to this would be pretty insane. I can’t decide whether to cube the pancetta and saute it in a pan then throw it in when i toss in the lemon and zest and stuff, or to just start it with the broccoli itself. I guess it depends on how long it would take to crisp up in the oven… Worth trying anyway. Or even throwing in some bacon crumbles at the end - to get similar results.
also possibly an asian spin by tossing in some tamari with the oil and sprinkling with roasted sesame seeds at the end (or using sesame oild instead of olive?)?
wow. obsessed with this dish. me.