Sunday, October 25, 2009

pork katsu

So at my absolutely favorite asian market on central (no idea what the name is - new with a big red roof) I found some Tonkatsu sauce (probably not hard to find, but I finally remembered to look for it).  I wanted to do a pork cutlet but I was not interested in frying it.  I found this recipe which works great and I like the technique of mixing a small amount of oil withe the crumbs - which makes it kind of "oven fried".

original recipe here:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/eating-well/golden-baked-pork-cutlets-recipe/index.html

I made some changes
3 boneless, thick cut pork chops, sliced in half so each is very thin, then pounded thinner

2 cups whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons canola oil
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
cornstarch

Directions

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a cooling rack over a sheet pan.


Mix panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder and salt in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated. Lightly beat egg white with a fork in another shallow dish. Sprinkle cornstarch over the pork slices and pat to coat evenly on both sides. Dip the pork into the egg, then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on both sides. (Discard leftover mixture.)
Place the pork on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until just barely pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 14 to 16 minutes.


This really gets as close as you can get to restaurant katsu.  Serve with Tonkatsu sauce and enjoy the crunchiness!

1 comment:

  1. OMG i looooooove me some pork katsu! AND i finally fixed your feed in my google reader (i missed SO much delicious food...wtf?!) hehe...

    ReplyDelete