Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dear Eggplant,

We are not friends.  I keep trying to be friends with you but you continue to be difficult.  Maybe I don't know how to be friends with you.




Maybe I don't want to have to do the work to be friends with you.  Maybe you even scare me a little bit.  But I want to love you.


 Yet you scorn me.

Remember that cafe in Florence where you were covered in sauce and greasy and you gave me a stomachache?  Remember how you were the worst meal I had in the whole three weeks I was there?  What happened?

A few weeks ago I baked you up with disgusting results.  You went straight from the oven, into a tupperware then into the garbage a week later.

And now yesterday.  I salted you, yet in my eggplant lasagna you still wept.  You wept an ocean making my meal runny and tasteless even though I did so much work to prevent it.

Eggplant, how many more chances should I give you?  I don't know - you just keep making me sad.  Please eggplant, stop making me so so sad.



Love,
N

5 comments:

  1. You neglected to mention your eggplant triumph - eggplant parmesan. If you forsake it for all else, use it for that.

    xoxo
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. true... the eggplant parm was good. BUT THAT IS ALL THAT WAS GOOD! ONE TIME! i cannto be friends with something that has only been nice one time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - most of the things i've made w/ eggplant have turned out well, except for the parm i tried to make a couple weeks ago. perhaps we should join forces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have an iffy relationship with Italian eggplants (all the salting... I can never get it just right), but Japanese eggplants have been my savior! They always come out so creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. renee - we should join forces.

    albany jane - any good recipes for said eggyplants?

    ReplyDelete