Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lime Basil Sorbet

A hundred and seventy thousand years ago Jaime Oliver did a Basil Lime sorbet and when I heard about it I was still kind of new to the foodie scene and was kind of weirded out by the idea of basil and limes and sugar together.  Aside:  Ugh.  The word "foodie" makes me think of the phrase "alternative music".  There seems to be no better phrase for it but I hate it all the same.  I wish there was a better word.

Moving on.

I MADE the sorbet eleventy thousand years ago and loved it.  Then I promptly forgot about it.  Until now.  Because I just made that sucker and I am not sure how I possibly could have forgotten about it.  What an amazing summer treat.  And NOTHING says "put booze in me and make me a basil lime slushy fulla booze" more than basil lime sorbet.

Original recipe and how to from here but I changed it up a bit below:

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 cup fresh lime juice (about 6 ish?)
Lime Zest
30 or so fresh basil leaves
-Dissolve sugar in water and throw in the zest of 4 of the limes , bring to a boil, lower heat, simmer for 5 minutes; remove from heat, cool.
-Put basil in a food processor with 1/2 the lime juice and pulverize until it is niiiice and pasty.
-Add basil lime paste and the rest of the lime juice to the simple syrup on the stove.  Bring to low boil for a second and stir.  Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a container.  Cover and put in fridge.
-One chilled pour in ice cream maker and spin.  Transfer frozen mixture to a container and freeze until firm.


Here it is spinning and looking all frozeny delicious:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

TIP:  ALWAYS spin stuff cold.  The frozen base of the maker cannot stay cold enough to chill your ice cream/sorbet whatever if it is warm.
 
The flash is killing the color of it, but here it is out of the maker - and CHECK OUT THE BASIL FLECKS:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Aw man the stuff is good.  Cannot wait until it is all frozen hard scoopable.  And you can do this without an ice cream maker you know.  Just do the whole granita thing.  Google it if you have no clue what I mean.
 
More to come...

2 comments:

  1. may i offer an alternative to 'foodie'.
    coined by my dear friend tommy love:
    'food enthusiast'

    - lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do like that better. foodthusiast for short?

    ReplyDelete