Saturday, January 22, 2011

Curried Lentil Soup for SoupSwap 2011!

For my first SoupSwap - I tried this recipe from Bon Appetit.  I made some minor changes - one being the addition of a boullion cube to give it a little more body and I added a lot more curry and a little more lemon.
People that end up getting my soup can let me know if it was way too currified.  I made a jillion quarts - so maybe in making so much, the curry taste got lost, which is why I felt like I needed more - but such is life.  I look forward to experimenting with soup for the next one!

Here it is:

Curried Lentil Soup

Ingredients

•3 tablespoons olive oil, divided

•1 medium onion, chopped

•1 medium carrot, finely chopped

•2 large garlic cloves, chopped, divided

•2 tablespoons (or more) curry powder

•1 cup French green lentils

•4 1/4 cups (or more) water, divided

•1 chicken boullion cube
•1 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed

•1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

•2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter

Preparation

•Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add half of chopped garlic; stir until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 4 minutes longer. Add 2 tablespoons curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lentils, 4 cups water and boullion cube. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.

•Meanwhile, puree chickpeas, lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining garlic in processor.

•Add chickpea puree and butter to lentil soup. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional curry powder, if desired. Add water by 1/4 cupfuls to thin to desired consistency.


The stuff is velvety (the chickpea puree and the butter really make it) and the lentils cook up awesomely.  In shopping for the green, (which I found at Price Chopper organic aisle, also at Co op) I also saw that there were red lentils - so I bought a bag and want to try to make some stuff with that too.

I can safely say that I am not afraid of making soup anymore.  Thanks SoupSwap!

No comments:

Post a Comment